Tuesday, October 21, 2008

ALDI's

ALDI's is a grocery store that sells food basics at low cost. I have found that shopping there has kept our food expenses down, and allows us to buy certain products that would normally be too expensive for our budget. There are a couple drawbacks, though, but overall I would like to recommend it and share some helpful tips from things I have learned in the past 3 years of my grocery shopping experience.

1. ALDI's is not glamorous.
In Memphis, it was located on the other (read "wrong") side of the interstate. It was amply staffed with security, though, so I felt safe going there during daylight hours (well, sort-of). Also, most of the shoppers didn't speak English or were of a different ethnicity (which was fine, just different). You must remember a quarter in order to get a shopping cart, and bring all your own bags. There are no decorations, and the food is stacked throughout the store in the shipping boxes.

2. Check out is a little, let's say, different.
Or maybe I should just say, FAST! As soon as you get your items on the counter, they are whisked through the scanner and then thrown into the previous person' s empty cart in no particular order. I have learned to place the heavy items on the belt first, followed by the breakable or smashable ones so they will end up on top. There is no one to bag groceries for you. You must have a debit card or cash to pay, and then bag your own groceries. I have found that it is easier for me to take the basket out to the car, and then bag them as I put them in the trunk.

3. There are some great deals there!
The best thing about ALDI for me is that I don't have to worry about sales, I can just buy what I need when I need it and know I am getting a good price. Here's a sample of what I buy, and I can list more if anyone is interested:

Snacks:
Specialty nuts are a favorite in this section: cashews, almonds, mixed nuts and chopped pecans
Rodeo Bill crispy potato chips (my husband says the Peppercorn Ranch are his favorite chips ever!)
Fit and Active wheat thins
Dark chocolate bars

Dairy:
Organic milk! this is a new item which I have been very excited about
Eggs
Block cheese

Meat:
Fit and Active turkey bacon
lunch meat
Talipia (a fish)
Mahi Mahi (fish)
(I haven't tried much else... has anyone tried their red meats?)

Bread:
Whole wheat bread or oatnut is good
sometimes they have frozen dinner rolls

Baking:
flour
sugar
baking soda
olive oil
salt
(I saw this week that they have started stocking some spices as well)

Produce:
I am not wild about some of their produce. You have to look it over pretty good. Sometimes they will have some great items in season though. Right now the grapes are good. I consistly buy:
green peppers
mushrooms
squash
cucumber
carrots
celery

Canned goods:
Everything! I like especially like their Fit and Active line and low sodium products

Cereal:
Some are not that great or too sugary. I buy the generic cherrios

Household:
paper towels
tp
kleenex
colgate toothpaste
shampoo
conditioner
claritin (loratadine)
sandwich bags
freezer bags
trash bags
Baby wipes (has anyone tried their diapers?)

Specialty:
These usually change by the week but are worth looking through.

Freezer:
Egg rolls (I like the pork)
Crab cakes (a little rich but good)

I usually go to ALDI's every other week, and then a regular grocery for my other meats and produce. Hope this is helpful! -A

11 comments:

Kari said...

Thank you, thank you for posting about ALDI's. We have one pretty close and I keep meaning to go...just a bit intimidated by what I've seen and heard in the past. Regardless, you have been VERY helpful with all your ideas and suggestions, I think I'll go sometime this week.
Do they take any coupons?
I would love to hear about their diapers and wipes too. Just bought some at Target and with coupons they still add up.

Michelle said...

I've heard so much about Aldi's, but the closest one to our house is currently 30 miles away. I just saw last week that they're building one near by!

Those are interesting "facts" you listed. I'll keep that in mind.

Caleb and Anna said...

Kari- I don't think they take coupons, but I'm not sure. The only product I can think of that would have a coupon would be the colgate toothpaste, so I might ask about that. Most of the other products are their own store brand.

WanderingLili said...

Anna - WWhere is this place in memphis? It sounds like it's worth checking at least. Did you go by yourself?

Caleb and Anna said...

Lili- I went to the one on Perkins just south of 240 (near Perkins and American Way), but you can find specific directions or other locations at
www.aldifoods.com

There are actually 5 locations in Memphis.

Caleb and Anna said...

Lili- oh, and yes, I went by myself (with Bryson), and it really was fine.

Shawna said...

We love aldi! I have purchased their diapers from time to time (when my stash is depleated) and they seem to be decent off brand. The wipes as well. Some regular things on my aldi list:

Feta
Onions
Potatoes
Parmesan
Olives
Tomato paste
Frozen strawberries
Pecans
Brown rice
Sour cream

Anonymous said...

Aldi's is literally a minute from me, but other than once or twice buying bulk things for high school social stuff, I haven't gone. I may need to try it out, thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

i have started shopping at aldis recently too. i have really enjoyed it. unfortunately they do not take coupons of any kind. and it is hard to transfer the baby to a different cart while they are impatiently waiting for you to pay. (one of the cashiers told me they are timed on their checkouts and they have to stay within a certain range).
the big environmental bags are great for bagging. i have gotten some of their meat and it was fine.
i am excited about the organic milk too. i havent seen it at mine, but hopefully it will be soon.

Shawna said...

i saw this today and thought you might enjoy it:

http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/shannon/2008/10/aldis-is-it-wor.html

Shannon did a price comparison trip to walmart and aldi. Pretty cool.

The only thing I noticed a little off, was the chicken breasts. I bet the pkg is 3# not 5.

Caleb and Anna said...

Thanks Shawna! I enjoyed the link and her effort in crunching the numbers. It was reassuring that it's worth the extra effort to go there.