Thursday, June 22, 2006

busy

Things have been busy for us lately. Last weekend and this weekend are booked with activities. Anna's working four days this week so she had to do a lot yesterday on her one day off. Additionally, I'm finishing up my Family clerkship tomorrow with a big test after giving a presentation today. But I was thinking about something tonight as I sipped on my third cup of coffee in as many hours - what suffers most when we are busy? I think the answer is relationships. Relationships require time and communication, both of which are often slighted by a full schedule. This is important to recognize because if we don't make time for what is important - our vital relationships with God, our spouse, our family, and our close friends - then the activity and effort is probably not really worth it. Is it worth crossing everything off of your daily checklist if you don't take time to commune with our Creator and revel in the grace which He freely shows us in Christ? Is achievement worth an aggrevated spouse? Is pleasing others and being well thought of (often the motivation of activity) worth denying spending time with those we love? Is a full calendar worth friends who know your name better than your face? Maybe I'm writing to myself more than anyone, but I was glad the Lord gave me an opportunity to stop, reset my priorities, refocus on Him and the gifts He has given me in other people, and renew my purpose to enjoy life, not just do life. There you have it - my caffeinated thoughts - and my personal reminder to be grateful to the Lord for all He has given for us to enjoy.

No comments: